Businesses are beginning to understand the importance of procurement management for their growth and expansion. Likewise, Raw Material Procurement is one of the most vital aspects for any manufacturing company. As the cost of purchasing raw materials from suppliers holds the majority of the production cost. It can easily influence the budget of any organisation.
Thus, creating a strategic plan for the purchasing of production materials becomes essential. But, it can be a cumbersome task to handle. Even the slightest mistakes can bring bigger problems that can potentially lead to downfall for a company.
However, with the help of few practices, any organisation can develop a procurement plan that helps them optimize their cost of production.
Here Are The 5 Best Raw Material Procurement Practices:
1. E-Procurement: Making raw material procurement digital is a crucial step in future-proofing company operations. Digital procurement solutions empower your team members to focus on strategic tasks by reducing the repetitive operational aspects of procurement.
As technology becomes more and more integrated into our daily lives, a complete digital transformation of procurement brings efficiency to the company.
Almost every high-performing company has dug deep in digital procurement practices that provide them with a competitive edge over others in the industry.
2. Demand Forecast: The first step to create a raw material procurement plan is forecasting raw material requirements. The demand forecast should be detailed to eliminate the possibility of acquiring more than is required. Before reaching out to the suppliers, the companies must understand the specifications of the requirements like quantity, quality, time, and more.
This enables the supplier to produce raw materials on time, making inventory management an easy task to deal with.
3. Optimized Inventory Management: Even if demand forecast eases managing inventory, manufacturers and materials managers can further benefit from a variety of technical solutions that can help them improve their business processes. Barcoding, as well as warehouse management software, can aid companies to increase efficiency. Companies can also adapt to different inventory management ABC Analysis, Just-In-Time and more.
4. Supplier Management Tools: Finding a potential supplier and finalising everything is a time-consuming procedure. Even a basic process of filing a vendor invoice can take several hours if performed manually. Thus, Supplier management tools and services are used by many companies for raw material procurement.
The supplier management tools and services hav several unique capabilities that can help you streamline the source-to-contract process and boost supplier engagement.
They provide comprehensive vendor dashboards, pre-made contract templates, digital procurement processes, and significant connections with accounting management systems.
5. Purchasing Professionals: Many businesses assume that hiring purchasing professionals will not only increase expenses but will also fail to generate effective results. However, the traditional methods for Raw Material Procurement is a thing of the past.
When it comes to formulating a better plan for material purchase, purchasing professionals are always a superior option. They are qualified for the job since they have the necessary abilities and experience. They have experience in the industry, negotiation skills, a list of verifiable vendors and suppliers, and negotiation strategies.
Companies can establish long-term plans for obtaining raw materials at lower and negotiated pricing by hiring purchasing consultants.
Level Up With OfBusiness:
OfBusiness offers you to practise these five ways to ensure your raw material procurement saves your cost of production. The best procurement tool you can ever get!